ANDROLOGY TECHNICIAN / ANDROLOGIST
This non-exempt position is responsible for performing laboratory services in accordance with laboratory operations manuals, assisting in the introduction of new laboratory services, and training other laboratory technicians as required with promoting and maintaining laboratory philosophy and performance standards.
This position will report to the Fertility Centers of Illinois OAK BROOK Clinic and share time between Oak Brook and Glenview, Illinois.
Please note, minimum experience: 6 months to 1 year in a hospital, physician’s office, or scientific lab with some general knowledge of lab techniques.
SCOPE: Reports to the Laboratory Management Team consisting of the Andrology Laboratory Supervisor, Laboratories Manager, and/or their designee.
I. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Examines and processes specimens for routine semen analysis. Will perform counts for concentration and motility.
- Will perform histological techniques for identifying leucocytes, immature germ cells, and morphology
- Processes semen for ART procedures and intrauterine inseminations (IUIs). Recovery of motile sperm from normozoospermic specimens using selective methods (i.e., density gradient) should yield at least 10% of the initial motile sperm population, and increase the motility of the specimen post-wash by greater than or equal to 10%
- Performs semen cryopreservation
- Performs testing for immunological infertility caused by antibody coating of sperm
- Performs sperm function tests offered by the andrology lab including sperm survival
- Refers specimens to outside laboratories for semen culture when required
- Assures proper sample collection, delivery, and identification;
- Performs safe handling of specimens by following the safety guidelines for biohazardous, infectious, and toxic substances in the andrology and IVF laboratories.
- Performs daily/monthly quality control procedures for media and equipment used in the andrology laboratory
- Documents quality assurance activities including assessment of problems and appropriate corrective action.
- Performs andrology proficiency testing as required by AAB;
- Performs sperm count so that, on average, they do not deviate from the “known” value by more than 2 S.D.s (standard deviations);
- Performs motility assessments so that, on average, they do not deviate from the “known’ value by more than 2 S.D.s;
- Performs morphology assessments so that, on average, they do not deviate from the “known” value by more than 3 SDs.
- Sets up, calibrates, and cleans lab equipment. Assures routine maintenance and repairs are performed and documented
- Assists laboratory personnel in performing lab services in accordance with Federal, State, and local laws and guidelines to ensure the laboratory maintains accreditation;
- May be asked to help with phlebotomy during nonpeak times.
- Assists as required in maintaining lab operations in conformity with the most current OSHA and CLIA regulations
- Processes requisitions, test reports, and test records in a timely manner.;
- Maintains lab records, reports, and files;
- Perform various office functions including photocopying, typing, faxing, and filing reports;
- Orders and stocks lab supplies on an ongoing basis;
- Communicates with Practice personnel, medical staff, patients, and outside resources to ensure high-quality patient care and customer service orientation;
- Prepares periodic reports and other documents for supervisors
- It is an essential function of this position to report to work on time for your scheduled hours, ready for work.
· Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks.